Photographer: Corrine Day

21:59



Corinne Day was a British fashion and documentary photographer who produced a wide variety of works, although I am most interested in her personal investigation project named ‘Diary’ as well as a project compiled by friends after her death titled ‘May the circle remain unbroken’. These projects feature photographs of her friends and herself during very personal moments, such as when she was diagnosed with a brain tumor, in which she eventually died from in 2010. Due to the personal nature of her photography, I see her works as a personal investigation as she captures and displays her very personal moments as a documentary of her life.


The strong red toning in this image gives it an emotive theme immediately as the colour gives connotations of strong emotions. The angle of the image is skewed which gives the viewer a discomfort that fits with the images subject of ‘Tara crying at home.’ The frame and note on the bottom, in what I assume to be Day’s handwriting shows just how personal this collection of images was as the reality of the moment is shown, it was not staged for the photo.


I think this image is very interesting and confrontational in subject as well as composition. The male breaks the black background and disturbs the image, especially with the strong blue of the T-shirt and the red blood seen on his skin. By the model being placed in the middle it does not create harmony in the image, instead makes an uncomfortable feeling for the viewer.



The intimacy of this project inspired me to do a photo shoot similarly, capturing many parts of my summer and collating it into a project like Day’s work.

My image

My image

My image

My image

My image 

My image


You Might Also Like

0 comments

Thank you so much